FSSAI is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. It’s headquarter is in New Delhi.
FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which is a consolidating law related to food safety and regulation in India.
FSSAI license is compulsory before starting any food business.
All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants, dairy farms, importer, exporter who are involved in food business required to obtain FSSI Registration. FSSAI LICENSE is a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
Objective of FSSAI Registration
1. To assure the consumers interest in respect of safety.
2. To adhere the highest degree of integrity.
3. To build up the capacity of various stakeholders for the participatory role in food safety.
4. To establish framework of food safety with their responsibility.
5. To ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks.
6. To reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers by issuing food service licen
Types of FSSAI License
The food license of different types is based on turnover, scale of business and the type of activity. The criterion is specified below:
FSSAI Basic Registration
This is for small business or startups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. It can be upgraded to state license as your sales level increases.
FSSAI State License
This license is for mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between Rs.12-20 crores.
FSSAI Central License
This license is for large business with annual turnover above Rs.20 crores.
It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
Note: (Basic Requirements)
In case any food operator is operating the business in more than 10 state then operator is required the central registration.
In case for importers and exporters who want to apply for FSSAI Registration, they require IEC Code before FSSAI License.
Brand owner have to display the FSSAI Logo and License number on the food package.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
1. Declaration form
2. Authority letter
3. Food Safety Management System plan or certificate
4. Electricity/ Water bill (Business Place)
5. Copy of Property paper (If owned property)
6. Copy of Rent agreement (If rented property)
7. Copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/ Partners/ Director
8. Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
Additional Documents For Manufacturer
1. Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit
2. List of Equipment and Machinery
3. List of food category desired to be manufactured
4. Pesticide residues report of water.
FSSAI Registration Form
FSSAI REGISTRATION has mainly 2 types of forms:
• FORM A: It is for basic FSSAI registration.
• FORM B: It is for state/ central FSSAI Registration.
Steps to get FSSAI Registration